A backgrounder written as part of an AllAfrica’s coverage of peacebuilding efforts across the continent.
The toxic mix of factors which threaten the cohesion of Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation include:
- insurgencies generated by government neglect and corruption;
- exploitation of discontent by armed bands of religious supremacists claiming to represent Islam;
- increasing insecurity and violence;
- climate change that is causing competition for scarce resources of land;
- lack of health care that is exacerbated by the Covid19 pandemic; and
- brutal state oppression.